Saturday 2 February 2008

HOT: Juan Munoz at Tate Modern Southbank

I don't know whether my swimming-induced deafness also affected my ability to understand things, but I found myself perplexed by the guide to this exhibition. I didn't understand any of the concepts until near the end, when I finally grasped that he liked to explore the 'in-between' spaces, neither ascending or descending, with his sculputures of staircases, bannisters and lifts hanging in mid-air. My favourites included: Many Times, the large group of short smiling Asiatic men engaging with each other, as I found it strangely positive, not creepy; Shadow and Mouth, with a disconcerting statue whispering into the wall and One Figure, with his face pressed against the mirror as if he was trying to look into his soul.

No comments: